Dr. Snyder is one of a small cohort of medical physicians in New York City specializing in reproductive psychiatry. Her unique approach combines traditional psychiatric treatment with integrative medicine-based treatments.
Dr. Snyder is an attending physician on staff in the Department of Psychiatry at Beth Israel Medical Center. She also holds a teaching appointment at Mount Sinai School of Medicine, and is an assistant attending with a teaching appointment at Weill-Cornell in the Payne Whitney Women’s Program.
Dr. Snyder is on the Postpartum Support International (PSI) Board of Directors as the Research Chair. PSI is the leading national organization providing awareness, prevention, resources and treatment of mental illnesses related to childbearing. She frequently speaks to various audiences, such as ‘The Pregnant New Yorker,’ and was one of the expert guest lecturers for Chic City Mom. Dr. Snyder is also a member of the Women’s Mental Health Consortium.
Dr. Snyder is the Director of Women’s Health for Family Health Associates.
Her weekly radio show, MD for Moms, can be heard Wednesdays at 1pm ET on the BBM Global Network and TuneIn radio, or anytime on BBMglobalnetwork.com/MD-for-moms. Dr. Snyder’s Huffington Post parenting blog shares the MD for Moms moniker.
- Mount Sinai Beth Israel Medical Center, (New York, New York)
- Attending Physician, Department of Psychiatry
- Clinical Course Director, Reproductive Psychiatry Elective Rotation
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine (New York, New York)
- Instructor, Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences
- The Payne Whitney Women’s Program, New York Presbyterian Hospital / Weill Cornell Medical College
- Assistant Attending, Department of Psychiatry
- Executive Board Member, Research Chair, Postpartum Support International
- Fellow, American Psychiatric Association (APA)
- Doctor’s Choice Award Recipient: 2014, 2015 & 2016: City Winner, New York; June 2015 & August 2016: Top Psychiatrist of the Month; 2016: Top 100
- Board Certified, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- New York State Medical License Holder
Dr. Snyder graduated with a BS from Emory University in Neuroscience & Behavioral Biology. She went to medical school at New York University, and completed her internship and general adult psychiatry residency at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York City. She obtained additional sub-specialized elective training in Reproductive Psychiatry at the Payne Whitney Women’s Program at New York Presbyterian Hospital – Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Einarson A, Snyder C, Robinson G: Comment and Response: Prenatal Antidepressant Use and Risk of Autism Spectrum Disorders in Children. JAMA Pediatr. 2016;170(7):710-711.
Lin D, Snyder C et al: Sexual Functioning in Schizophrenia. Poster Accepted, World Congress of Psychiatry; September 2014
Lin D, Snyder C et al: Sexual Functioning in Schizophrenia. Poster Accepted, Sexual Medicine Society of North America; November 2013
Ascher M, Leibu O, Snyder C: Serious Mental Illness and Family Planning. The Bulletin of the Association for Academic Psychiatry (AAP); September 21, 2012
Snyder C, Occhiogrosso M, Fins J: The Capacity Consult for Request for Abortion During Acute Psychiatric Illness: Two Cases. (Manuscript in preparation)
Gabbay V, Coffey BJ, Babb JS, Meyer L, Snyder C (nee Wachtel), Anam S, Rabinovitz: Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcus (PANDAS): A Comparison of Diagnosis and Treatment in the Community and a Specialty Clinic. Pediatrics. 2008
Marcus DL, Freedman ML, Snyder C (nee Wachtel): Cholinesterase Inhibitors Attenuate Beta Amyloid Induced Apoptosis in Rat Acute Explant Hippocampal Slices Via Inhibition of Caspase-3 Activation. A New Development in Alzheimer’s Disease Treatment. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2003
Press & Videos
- 04.2017 edition: NY Lifestyles Magazine – Banishing the Baby Blues (online and in print)
- 03.15.17 – Interview on Doctor’s Choice Awards TV
- 03.01.17 – City Pages: The River of Secrets Around One Mother and Two Floating Minnesota Babies
- 01.31.17 – Cosmopolitan Magazine (Feb 2017 issue): 7 Weird Reasons You Can’t Focus
- 01.27.17 – Sivana Blog: I’m Carly Snyder, And This Is My Dharma
- 12.16.16 – Readers Digest: 7 Signs You Shouldn’t Trust The Health Advice You Just Found On The Web
- 08.04.16 – Today Parents: You’re not alone: Parents with mental illness share what they wish they’d known.
- 06.21.16 – The New York Post: Yes, Prenatal Depression Is A Thing
- 06.20.2016 – Self: 8 Subtle Signs You Might Be Depressed
- 05.26.16 – Mashable: Why New Parents Shouldn’t Feel So Guilty About Sleep Training
- 03.08.16 – Self: Hayden Panettiere: Postpartum Depression Is ‘One Of The Most Debilitating, Scary, Guilty Feelings.’
- 01.19.16 – Self: Hayden Panettiere Bravely Got Real About Postpartum Depression
- 01.07.16 – Yahoo: Antidepressants During Pregnancy: What Expectant Moms Should Know
- 10.25.15 – Mashable: Having a Baby is Beautiful, But Postpartum Emotions Are So Hard
- 08.19.14 – Practitioner Spotlight: Dr. Carly Snyder, M.D.
- 7.07.14 – Dr. Snyder on PIX 11
- 6.30.14 – Radio interview on Relationships Matter with Dr. Annie Abram: Postpartum Depression And Its Treatment
For press inquiries, please fill out the contact form.