About Carly Snyder, M.D.
Dr. Snyder is one of a small cohort of medical physicians in New York City specializing in reproductive psychiatry. Her unique approach combines traditional psychiatric treatment with integrative medicine-based treatments.
Dr. Snyder is an attending physician on staff in the Department of Psychiatry at Mount Sinai Beth Israel Medical Center. She also holds a teaching appointment at Mount Sinai School of Medicine, and is an assistant attending with a teaching appointment at Weill-Cornell in the Payne Whitney Women’s Program.
Dr. Snyder was on the Postpartum Support International (PSI) Board of Directors as the Research Chair for several years, and now serves on the President’s Advisory Council. PSI is the leading national organization providing awareness, prevention, resources and treatment of mental illnesses related to childbearing. She frequently speaks to various audiences, such as ‘The Pregnant New Yorker,’ and at professional conferences and meetings. Dr. Snyder is also a member of the Women’s Mental Health Consortium.
Dr. Snyder is the Director of Women’s Health for Family Health Associates.
Her weekly radio show, MD for Moms, can be heard Wednesdays at 1pm ET on the BBM Global Network, iHeart Radio and TuneIn Radio, or anytime via iTunes as a podcast or at boldbravemedia.com/shows/md-for-moms/. Dr. Snyder’s HuffPost parenting blog shares the MD for Moms moniker.
- Mount Sinai Beth Israel Medical Center (New York, New York)
- Attending Physician, Department of Psychiatry
- Clinical Course Director, Reproductive Psychiatry Elective Rotation
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine (New York, New York)
- Instructor, Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences
- The Payne Whitney Women’s Program, New York Presbyterian Hospital / Weill Cornell Medical College
- Assistant Attending, Department of Psychiatry
- Postpartum Support International President’s Advisory Council Member
- former Executive Board Member, Research Chair, Postpartum Support International
- Fellow, American Psychiatric Association (APA)
- Doctor’s Choice Award Recipient: 2014, 2015 & 2016: City Winner, New York; June 2015 & August 2016: Top Psychiatrist of the Month; 2016: Top 100
- Board Certified, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- New York State Medical License Holder
Dr. Snyder graduated with a BS from Emory University in Neuroscience & Behavioral Biology. She received her medical degree from New York University School of Medicine, and completed her internship and general adult psychiatry residency at Mount Sinai Beth Israel Medical Center in New York City. She obtained additional sub-specialized elective training in Reproductive Psychiatry at the Payne Whitney Women’s Program at New York Presbyterian Hospital – Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Derish N, Occhiogrosso M, Martino M, Snyder C: The Capacity Consult For Abortion During Acute Psychiatric Illness – Two Cases. Poster accepted and presented, NASPOG Biannual Meeting; Philadelphia, April 2018.
Derish N, Singley D, Muskal M, Meyer B, Snyder C: Development and Implementation of PSI Support Online Support Meetings: Who Are Our Members? Poster accepted and presented, NASPOG Biannual Meeting; Philadelphia, April 2018.
Derish N, Singley D, Muskal M, Meyer B, Snyder C: Development and Implementation of PSI Support Online Support Meetings: Who Are Our Members? Poster accepted and presented, Postpartum Support International Annual Meeting; Philadelphia, July 2017.
Einarson A, Snyder C, Robinson G: Comment and Response: Prenatal Antidepressant Use and Risk of Autism Spectrum Disorders in Children. JAMA Pediatr. 2016;170(7):710-711.
Lin D, Snyder C et al: Sexual Functioning in Schizophrenia. Poster Accepted, World Congress of Psychiatry; September 2014
Lin D, Snyder C et al: Sexual Functioning in Schizophrenia. Poster Accepted, Sexual Medicine Society of North America; November 2013
Ascher M, Leibu O, Snyder C: Serious Mental Illness and Family Planning. The Bulletin of the Association for Academic Psychiatry (AAP); September 21, 2012
Snyder C, Occhiogrosso M, Fins J: The Capacity Consult for Request for Abortion During Acute Psychiatric Illness: Two Cases. (Manuscript in preparation)
Gabbay V, Coffey BJ, Babb JS, Meyer L, Snyder C (nee Wachtel), Anam S, Rabinovitz: Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcus (PANDAS): A Comparison of Diagnosis and Treatment in the Community and a Specialty Clinic. Pediatrics. 2008
Marcus DL, Freedman ML, Snyder C (nee Wachtel): Cholinesterase Inhibitors Attenuate Beta Amyloid Induced Apoptosis in Rat Acute Explant Hippocampal Slices Via Inhibition of Caspase-3 Activation. A New Development in Alzheimer’s Disease Treatment. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2003
Press & Video
- 07.10.18 – EveryMom.com: Baby Blues and Postpartum Depression: What Every Mom Needs To Know
- 07.06.18 – Mental Speak Radio: Curing Mental Illness Stigma
- 06.27.18 – Today’s Parent: The Introverted Mom’s Newborn Survival Guide
- 06.18.18 – wellrounded.com: I’m A Doctor And I Think Breast Isn’t Always Best
- 06.14.18 – WVOX-AM Wake Up, Westchester Radio
- 06.06.18 – SheKnows – Parenting Rules You Can Feel Free to Break
- 06.04.18 – Fatherly.com: Is It Irresponsible To Have a Child If You Are Depressed?
- 06.01.18 – medium.com – Capsule Cares: Dear Doctor: Carly Snyder
- 05.23.18 – NYPost.com: How To Keep Kids Away From Your iPhone Screen
- 05.21.18 – Mainstream Mental Health Radio: Why Do New Dads Suffer From Postpartum Depression?
- 05.17.18 – NYPost.com – How Women Over 40 Can Save The Human Race
- 05.17.18 – Parents.com: 9 Habits Of Healthy Families
- 05.09.18 – Yahoo.com: How model Tess Holliday has PPD despite her ’baby’ being a toddler
- 05.08.18 – Romper.com: Can The Link Between Movement + Memory Help Us Find Ourselves After Birth?
- 04.26.18 – Today.com: ‘You Know What You Are Missing:’ The Pain Of Secondary Infertility Is Real
- 04.24.18 – GMA: Dear Princess Kate: Some Advice From Moms Of 3
- 04.02.18 – Mother.ly: 5 Steps To Gaining Control When You Are Feeling Anxious, Mama
- 04.02.18 – Mother.ly: New Moms Aren’t Getting Enough Sleep, But That Can (and should!) Change
- 03.15.18 – girlboss: How to Stop Letting Your Anxiety Make Decisions For You
- 03.05.18 – Romper: 7 Weird Dreams That People With Anxiety Have In Common & What They Mean
- 03.02.18 – Thriveworks: Overcome Crippling Self-Doubt: 6 Professional Tips
- 02.21.18 – The Womb Happy Hour Radio Show with Lorraine Giordano
- 02.19.18 – Mom and Mind Podcast with Dr. Kat: Postpartum Anxiety
- 02.15.18 – Parents Magazine (March 2018 edition and online): How To Deal With New Mom Stress
- 01.13.18 – The Savvy Shrink Radio Show with Andrea Schneider: Women’s Reproductive Mental Health: Supporting Emotional Well Being
- 01.03.18 – Patient.info: How To Cope With Anxiety In Pregnancy
- 12.20.17 – Yahoo Lifestyle: “I Have Postpartum Depression, And The Holidays Are Hell”
- 12.18.17 – Headstuff.org: Everything We Should Know About Postpartum Depression And The Winter Months.
- 12.12.17 – Mind Body Green: 5 Common Myths About The Mental Health of New Moms
- 11.9.17 – Naturna.com: Holistic Medicine With Dr Carly Snyder
- 10.30.17 – Her Radio with Dr Pamela Peeke & Michelle King Robson: Baby Loss: Dealing with the Aftermath
- 10.03.17 – Romper: 5 Ways To Teach Your Child To Trust Their Instincts, According to Experts
- 09.29.17 – Romper: What Should You Do When You Get A Bad Feeling About Another Parent?
- 09.27.17 – The Frankie Boyer Lifestyle Radio Show
- 09.26.17 – Mission Unstoppable Radio with Frankie Picasso
- 08.11.17 – The Ed Tyll Radio Show
- 07.28.17 – NYMag.com / Science of Us: When Medication Side Effects Make You Rethink What It Means To Have A ‘Good Life.’
- 06.06.17 – Genneve: What’s PTSD Got to Do With Menopause?
- 05.13.17 – Risa Klein, The Manhattan Midwife: Happy Mother’s Day, Happy Birthing Day
- 05.10.17 – Mother Nature Network: Here’s How Yo-Yo Dieting Affects Your Body (And Your Mind)
- 05.08.17 – PSI Guest Blog: PACT for the Cure – PPD ACT
- 04.25.17 – Naturna Institute, YouTube TV: Interview with Dr. Carly Snyder
- 04.2017 – NY Lifestyles Magazine: Banishing the Baby Blues (online and in print)
- 03.10.17 – Doctor’s Choice Awards YouTube TV: An Interview with NY Psychiatrist Dr. Carly Snyder
- 03.01.17 – City Pages: The River of Secrets Around One Mother and Two Floating Minnesota Babies
- 01.31.17 – Cosmopolitan Magazine (Feb 2017 issue): 7 Weird Reasons You Can’t Focus
- 01.27.17 – Sivana Blog: I’m Carly Snyder, And This Is My Dharma
- 12.16.16 – Reader’s Digest: 7 Signs You Shouldn’t Trust The Health Advice You Just Found On The Web
- 08.04.16 – Today Parents: You’re not alone: Parents with mental illness share what they wish they’d known.
- 06.21.16 – The New York Post: Yes, Prenatal Depression Is A Thing
- 06.20.16 – Self: 8 Subtle Signs You Might Be Depressed
- 05.26.16 – Mashable: Why New Parents Shouldn’t Feel So Guilty About Sleep Training
- 03.08.16 – Self: Hayden Panettiere: Postpartum Depression Is ‘One Of The Most Debilitating, Scary, Guilty Feelings.’
- 01.19.16 – Self: Hayden Panettiere Bravely Got Real About Postpartum Depression
- 01.07.16 – Yahoo: Antidepressants During Pregnancy: What Expectant Moms Should Know
- 10.25.15 – Mashable: Having a Baby is Beautiful, But Postpartum Emotions Are So Hard
- 08.19.14 – Practitioner Spotlight: Dr. Carly Snyder, M.D.
- 07.07.14 – Dr. Snyder on PIX 11
- 06.30.14 – Relationships Matter with Dr. Annie Abram: Postpartum Depression And Its Treatment
For press inquiries, please fill out the contact form.